Sunday, March 5, 2017

Day 4 - Daenerys' Wedding Gown

After a bit of a lapse in posting for our costume challenge, we're back on track. (We went on an adventure, which is as good an excuse as any, as far as I'm concerned.) It was a good thing for this blog, though, since during the excursion we were able to do a number of costume shoots in some beautiful and diverse locations in the southwestern portion of Oregon.

The first shoot we did was Daenerys' wedding gown, which we were able to capture in the snow and the sand (fitting, really). Our first photo session for the Mother of Dragons was in the forest below Crater Lake, while the second was in the sand dunes near North Bend.

Daenerys' Wedding Gown  
Modeled by Livia, made and photographed by Sarah



Trivia: 
I made this gown for Halloween three or four years ago, knowing very little about Daenerys and almost nothing about Game of Thrones. I just thought it looked cool.

The dress is hand-dyed silk, and made using a Simplicity pattern. It took me about an evening and a half to finish. I originally wore it with a custom-made Smaug "shoulder dragon."

As I recall, I spent most of the Halloween party reciting cheesy lines I'd probably seen in a trailer ("Fire cannot kill a dragon....") and trying to keep the dress from slipping down. I had a horrible wig that wasn't at all correct, and probably ended up looking more like Cersei than Daenerys. *shame* I have since mended my ways, though. I've now successfully completed all 6 seasons of GoT.

1 comment:

  1. The effect of the uneven dying is really cool. I wouldn't have guessed from the pictures that it was silk, though.

    Livvy must have absolutely frozen in that dress. You mentioned photo shoots and freezing, but I didn't know that there was quite that amount of skin exposed to the elements! *applause for brave models*

    ReplyDelete