Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Day 5 - Galadriel White Gown From The Hobbit

Lady Galadriel, The Hobbit
Modeled by Maggie and Livia, made by Sarah, photographed by Casa Bay




Trivia:
I made this costume around 2014 using the Simplicity pattern. I don't know what my intent for it was, except that it appealed to me. As such, I never ended up wearing it to any events, and it languished in the closet for the past few years. The only use it saw was for a Hobbit contest video, and I think my younger sister wore it to Desolation of Smaug at our local McMenamins. I guess I never really saw myself as a Galadriel-esque figure, so I didn't think to complete the costume ensemble for her.

The main dress is in polyester shantung from Joann's, and the sleeves were cut from curtains I found at Goodwill. The brooch was my grandmother's (I inherited a generous amount of them). 

Regarding the photoshoot, I feel we kinda... rushed this one. The location would've been nicer in better weather, but it was freezing cold, drizzly, and windy (we were on a cliff overlooking a wide point of the Rogue River where the bridge crosses over). Also, we didn't have a proper wig or accessories to go with it, so Livy doesn't really look like Galadriel. Still, I'm happy this long-neglected gown got to see a bit of action. :)

February 2018 update: added some photos by Casa Bay that better showcase this gown; the model is Maggie Hartley, an accomplished ballerina and family friend. 

1 comment:

  1. I think that last photo (from the back, overlooking the water) is my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete