Saturday, March 11, 2017

Day 7 - Eowyn Green Gown

(Inspired by) Eowyn's Green Gown, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Made and modeled by Sarah, photographed by Livia
Location: Rogue River Valley







Trivia: 
I made this gown back in 2012, when I was beginning to undertake more ambitious sewing projects. It was based on Eowyn's Green Gown, one of my most loved costumes from the Lord of the Rings films. It didn't turn out exactly as I'd hoped, mostly because of my fabric choices, but also because I neglected to anticipate technicalities of the multiple layers (chiefly that the overdress, unless secured, will simply slip down off the shoulders and look horrible. (The gown is carefully positioned and staged in the above few shots, believe you me....) Further, I didn't get a chance to make the iconic multi-piece belt, so I had to use a similar one as a stand-in.

The gown is made in green cotton velvet (which was probably too thick to drape as nicely as it might have), and a cheap curtain fabric which I came to deeply regret. The yoke was quilted, which took me two attempts to get right, and the trim quickly became one of my happier finds on the project, as it very closely resembles that used in the original. I think I may have spent 35+ hours on eBay hunting for it.

I certainly learned a lot through the making process, so I'm pleased with it on that account, even if I never did wear it to anything, or even technically "finish" it. I gained great strides in pattern-drafting, and in altering existing patterns. :)

1 comment:

  1. I think it turned out well (at least for this shoot) and some of the best things about the project are how much you learned from it. I find the same thing in some of my writing projects. My last three attempts at writing a book have taught me volumes, not only about style, but about scheduling and my own ability to find the "end" of a story. I imagine the learning process is very similar.

    ReplyDelete