Monday, November 3, 2014

Khalisi Daenerys Wedding Dress

This dress Dany wears for her wedding... my version turned out a little more brown than hers, but I actually like it. It's very earthy, and there's truly nothing like wearing a flowing silk gown. It felt like I had nothing on (in the best possible way, not "omg, I'm naked!"). 


I didn't document the process very well, unfortunately, and even this picture doesn't really show what the front (or back) of the dress look like. I'll have to take some more pictures later and update this post.

I hand dyed the silk in a massive canning jar cauldron, which is always an adventure. No horrific mishaps this time, thankfully. Then I used a base pattern that was actually really, really close to the original, and had this baby finished in an evening. It was actually a lot of fun, and diverted me from my mom's propaganda film, which I probably would have watched if I'd had nothing better to do. 

The picture below was during an intermediate step, but it does show the interesting coloration well. 



The best part of the gown is the front tie details (not yet attached at the time of the above photo). There are some ties (much like those you'd find on an infinity dress) that loop through a closure adorned with dragon heads), cross, and then are tied at the back of the dress. Fun little detail. A very simple design, and yet very elegant. I like the open back. :)

Well, Halloween's over and it's time to move on to bigger and better things. Like my costume for the premiere / opening night of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Million Tissue Boxes. At the moment, I'm definitely contemplating going as Thorin in his secondary battle armor. Not the gold plate armor Thror wore at the Battle of Azanulbizar, but the chain mail coat and quilted leather surcoat. Also contemplating wearing... the crown. Which actually doesn't go with the aforementioned garb, but it looks amazing and I totally want to make and wear it.


No comments:

Post a Comment