Sunday, November 9, 2014

Finished Thorin Raven Crown and New Project Breakdown

All done! I like how it's turned out. A fun project, to be sure, and a great learning experience. This is one of those projects where I would actually be up for making a duplicate. That doesn't happen very often. 


It's very sturdy, and the detail shows up well. If I were to fix anything, I might add some aging to the "gold," so it looks less shiny. The texture of the leather, though, gives it a nice, hand-forged appearance.


I like how the back wraps around to support the front. Makes the whole thing feel a lot more integrated and sturdy.




The dangly squares are quite fun, and slightly ingenuous. They're suspended in place by a strip of garment leather, and they create the illusion of a tail. If I'm being honest with myself, this design looks like it matches Thror's beard/hair jewelry. :D


And here's me... trying to do Thorin's "grump face" justice. I think I'm getting the hang of it. Majestic! 

Now it's on to the rest of the costume. Oh, yeah. I'm gonna be Majestic Thorin for opening night. Here's a pic of the costume, except that I'm also adding the robe with fur collar and the crown to the  ensemble. 



Kinda hard to see, as most of what he's wearing is very dark, but the outfit is quite complex. To break it down, it's:
1) Outer cloak, black; fur collar, gold and black trim
2) Outer coat, black, quilted, pieced leather, metal jewels along the front opening 
3) Under tunic, black, gold trim identical to that he wore as a prince in Erebor, except that it's in gold instead of blue and silver. Symbolism much?
4) Undershirt, dirty off-white, buttons visible; very much a relic of Laketown 
5) Trousers, with ornate suede patch visible
6) Boots, fur-covered, wrapped in leather
7) Belt, tooled leather; gold buckle embossed with Raven emblem
8) Gloves in the same style as the outer coat, with gold, quilted trim around the edge
9) Possibly sword and shield, but not necessary, as this outfit is the one he wears before battle is imminent 

I've already finished the mock-up of the outer coat, in a different fabric, but I intend to make it in black leather. Will be cutting apart a leather coat and a pair of leather trousers to acquire said leather. 

I may end up using this mock up as the base for my remake of Thorin's navy blue traveling coat. I like the pattern; very well-fitted, considering I worked it up in an evening. (Will definitely be making a "hero version" of the coat in genuine leather and raccoon fur at some point, though. I already have the materials.)

Will update as things develop. :)
 






1 comment:

  1. *flails* So majestic. Loving watching your costume progress. I think you must be mad. And ingenious. A mad genius. With mad skillz. *nods*
    Love how the crown turned out. It looks heavy. The coat sounds like it will be epic.
    And now I need to figure out how ridiculous it would be for me to make my hair curly.

    ReplyDelete