Sunday, August 17, 2014

Finished Elsa Gown

Finally finished my Elsa Gown, which was a lot more trouble than it was worth, and which reaffirmed to me once again the tremendous importance of "ease of use" when it comes to fabric selection. Sequined lycra is 100% off my list of future fabric choices. Practically killed my machine. It's worse than leather. Anyway, I managed to finish what I needed to. Hemmed the sleeves and neckline, installed a zipper in the back of the dress, finished the eyelets for the bodice, and embroidered the train. 

Finished product, modeled by my long-suffering younger sister, Charity. 


I don't really like how the top portion turned out, and if I were to do it over again, I'd choose a sequined fabric for the bodice and leave it at that. The craft foam, while interesting, simply doesn't provide the professional, polished look I strive toward. Also, I'd choose a different fabric for the sleeves and neckline. The sequined lycra is absolutely awful to work with, as you may have already gathered. I do, however, like how the train turned out. 


The embroidery is gorgeous, and the jeweled rhinestones I added were the icing on the cake. I was going to do more snowflakes, but in the end, I decided to keep it simple. It was challenging embroidering on the sheer fabric, but the end product was surprisingly ethereal, like snowflakes floating in the blue sky. 


My room is kind of in chaos right now, since I'm in the process of reorganizing everything. I've come to the conclusion that I have too many supplies and materials that are inaccessible, and the volume of stuff I have out is making the room look cluttered. So my next few projects are going to be of an organizational nature, and should help in using up a lot of the very specific items I have. Expect posts on repurposing sweaters, and making cloaks. Not necessarily in that order. 

1 comment:

  1. Repurposing sweaters, huh? That sounds like fun. *is remembering a conversation about hoodies with cloak-hoods* You'll have to keep me updated.

    ReplyDelete